Waiting for Inspiration to Strike

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Today's Endearing conversation

"Mrs._____ where's Wos Vegas? My mama is takin' an airpwane dare" asks friend 1.

"Get out the US map and I'll show you."

"Here it is! Where's Wos Vegas?"

"Las Vegas is in a state called Nevada" I explain.

" Can I hold it?" friend 1 picks up Nevada and begins to stroke it, lovingly thinking of his mama, I'm sure.

"There are snakes out there!" pipes in friend 2.

"Dare are snakes in Wos Vegas?" asks friend 1, nervously.

"Well, in the desert in Nevada, there are snakes. Your mama is in the city," I say, reassurring friend 1.

"Yeah, there are lots of big snakes out there!" continues friend 2, despite the death glare I shoot him.

"My mama is in da city? Dat's good because I don't want da snakes to get her," , muses friend 1 as he continues to stroke the Nevada piece of the puzzle map.......

Friend 3 joins our conversation," Snakes live in the desert. Where do the dinosaurs live?"

"Dinosaur's don't live anywhere--they are extinct," I inform friend 3, who is looking a bit shocked.

"There are no dinosaurs anywhere? They were all killed?" confirms friend 3, looking like the child who just found out there is no santa claus.

"Dinosaurs lived a long time ago, and they all died off. They are no more dinosaurs," I say.

"How'd they die? Did a raptor get all the dinosaurs?" asks bewildered friend 3, as if he's been told lies all this time about the exsistence of dinosaurs.

"I don't know, I just don't know," I remark.

This conversaiton proves my point that for a boy of 5, dinosaurs are as fanciful as Power Rangers and Sponge Bob, and not the scientific undertaking their parents wish that it was. Yes, they will understand the concept of extinct soon enough, but as far as "prehistoric" goes, as far as they can tell, their Grandpa grew up with dinosaurs when he was a boy.......
"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home