Waiting for Inspiration to Strike

Saturday, August 27, 2005

First Impressions

Ok, so it's Saturday morning, but baby kahuna doesn't know that, so we are up like it's a normal day....well, she was up, but now she's snoring on the boppy. Anyway, it's feast or famine on this blog, so I'm considering doing several smaller, topic-oriented posts today, to avoid posts of epic proportions. I digress.

Met with my friend, the Drama Queen Mother and two other fellow bloggers last night, and she told the story of her first impression of me. Let me preface this with we were 15, and in geometry class taught by a very gruff woman with a stick up her butt. I hated math, and so didn't get geometry it really wasn't funny.

So Ang tells me last night that she and her fellow CHEERLEADER friend noted that I was "the chick who just kept talking.....and what's up with the gloves?!?!" I remember the talking (my one downfall behavior in school--through college), but gloves?!??! Who the hell wears gloves inside? Apparently I did. More than once. I tried to defend myself-- "Um, remember how cold our school was?" to which she replied,"I was in a CHEERLEADER skirt--I wasn't that cold!" Then I'm thinking, it was really dry in there-maybe I did it to protect my very dry skin.

Then I realize that while I've always tried to be cool, and that I really have never cared about what other people think, I really have always come off as a DORK who doesn't care what other people think. And my memory is crap.

But then I got to thinking.....Ang and I eventually became friends that year. And I helped bring her over to the black-wearing, tortured drama club, and then it was OK because we talked all through class together. Seventeen years ago. And I realized that in the past week, I've spoken to my other three best friends from high school....all whom I met in honors English freshman year, 18 years ago. That means that I've known these women more than half my life. How incredible is that? Thankfully they were all able to see past the gloves.........

1 Comments:

  • At 3:35 PM , Blogger Ang said...

    I'm so glad I could bring you to epiphany like that, my friend. LOVE YOU!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home