Waiting for Inspiration to Strike

Monday, April 10, 2006

Just Tell Them What They Want to Know

Today's conversation brought to mind theory of "Just answer they question they ask" rather then going into details they (children) don't care about. Little bits of information is all most children need at one time.

Today two children were feeling adventurous and took out the Africa puzzle map, which is a tricky map to do if you are not familiar with it. These two were not, so in a few minutes they were asking for help. Before my leave of absence I was pretty good at it, but my geography-free 7 month break has taken it's toll. So another child offerred to help and I took her up on it.

"Thanks for helping us, A--it's been awhile since I've done this map."

"You used to do this all the time, but then you had a baby, right?" she asks.

"Yup. You're right."

"But she didn't grow in your tummy."

"Right. We adopted M after she was born."

"What's that mean?" asked another child.

"It means that she grew in someone elses tummy, and when she was born, Mr. M and I adopted her and became her mom and dad."

"Oh. Ok. I think this piece goes over here....."

And so it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home